Gun won't calibrate

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

James in VA
3DO ZERO USER

Gun won't calibrate

Post by James in VA » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi all! Brand new here so please forgive me if this has been discussed before or if I'm posting in the wrong space.

I recently set up my 3DO after about 5 years of non-use. The console and games all work fine. However, the gun's aim is WAY off and the calibration feature won't fix it. It always worked perfectly before.

I tried taking it apart to gently clean using compressed air. It didn't make things worse but it didn't help either.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

james.murray@yahoo.com

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:15 pm

chage the brightness and contrast settings, move back or try an other display.

I am going to guess you are using a CRT?

James in VA
3DO ZERO USER

Post by James in VA » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:01 pm

acem77,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Yes it is a CRT that I am using (same TV as when I used the light gun in the past).

I will try adjusting the TV's settings but I don't really think that is it. The shots are off by so much that I believe there is a real problem with the timing. I'm not an engineer but I believe these guns work by timing how long it takes for the screen to perform its raster scan to the point on the screen where the gun is pointed.

Has anyone lese had these types of problems? If so, was buying a new gun off Ebay the fix?

Thanks,
James

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:37 am

Gday James, i have a simular issue with my gun that came up about 10 years ago. I wont put the whole story here, but you can read it here in this thread:
http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/foru ... .php?t=917

Youre pretty well correct with the way the gun works, but can you tell me is it shooting to the upper right or the lower left of where youre aiming or a bit of both?

The only thing i can think of here that would relate to timing is on the back side of the little board in the gun, there is a crystal there, im pretty sure its a 10 Mghz. It would be quite easy to get one and replace it.

I have also emailed CSYS LABS to see what they have info wise on these guns, so far without a response, but they will be in a break time at this time of year id think.

If you can find one on eBay, go ahead and buy it!! :lol:

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:15 am

If someone could get me some pictures of what is inside their gun that would be handy (mainly what is between the photo diode and the lens at the front of the gun), cause i just went and tested this one on the CRT projector and it is now working, but it is shooting all over the place, much in the way id say yours is James.

marco rossi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by marco rossi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:00 pm

maybe i can help you with some pictures of my personal gun ;-) sorry but i have a bad english.you need to know that the gun is not compatible with 50hz pal console you need to have a japanese or us 60hz console .you can see my pictures here:

http://forum.team-sega.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=760

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:00 am

Gday Marco Rossi, dont worry about the bad english, im Australian and dont care about little things like that mate ;)

Those pics do indeed help, thank you very much for that!!

The test console was an FZ-1 Japan model.

One of your pictures didnt come up, it was the 5th picture out of the 6 you posted.

Thanks again mate :)

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:13 am

I was just reading what you have said there on that forum, i dont read very good french, ill quote it here for everyone else as well:
Marco Rossi wrote:I have a gun 3do since more d' one year and that Ci has a poor contact! And yes the owners of the gun know this recurring problem on this type of peripheral. After makehaving made l' acquisition of the gun and l' to have tested on 3do FZ1 stake I realized with stupor that I n' did not manage to gauge ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! poor contact + impossibility of gauging, too c' is too!!!!!!!! My research on the Net is unfruitful and finally I find the answer has my questions in 3do magazine which notifies black on white that the gun n' is not compatible with the 50 Hz. Fortunately after more d' one year, I have just made l' acquisition d' a 3do HS which I have just given in form and the good news c' is that Ci is a console jap thus 60hz. J' had in l' idea to repair this gun and I decided aujourd' hui.j' have thus to use an official pad 3do to make a switch cables while thinking of using the code color and j' thus carried out l' open-heart operation, here the photographs

I will cross short, and will announce continuation to you that does not function!!!!!!!! j' believed that my gun was foutu but j' decided to give the cable d' origin. Knowing or was the poor contact and that Ci being close to the stick j' cut my cable to remove this free poor contact has to have a smaller cable. J' have remake my weldings and there ohhhh surprised that functions as at the first day. And voilou c' @+ is finished
I cant quite understand that well enough, but are you saying there you had the same problem with your gun as we have with ours, and you fixed it by replacing the cable?

James in VA
3DO ZERO USER

Photos of my 3DO gun to share

Post by James in VA » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:32 am

OK, I have photos of my gun (including the inside) but I'm not sure how to share them. :oops: Can somebody help? :)

Thanks!

Mobius

Re: Photos of my 3DO gun to share

Post by Mobius » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:36 am

James in VA wrote:OK, I have photos of my gun (including the inside) but I'm not sure how to share them. :oops: Can somebody help? :)

Thanks!
http://imageshack.us/