A 3DO collection problem

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

A 3DO collection problem

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:20 pm

I have an issue, I guess I'll start with a little history to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

My first collection was with the Nintendo Entertainment System. I was more of a hardware enthusiast than games. I was always picky about games but I loved collecting controllers and other hardware. I then got hooked on buying Japanese versions, getting imports from magazine adds, buying systems months before they came out here, I thought maybe I was going a little too far but I could still play games early but I couldn’t read them. (Japanese dictionaries helped with that).

As the years went by I bought more systems, more devoted to Nintendo than others, but the 3DO really twisted that. So I did the regular hardware collecting but it wasn't easy, or cheap. So with a lack of peripherals I started grabbing up software. But if you’ve every looked at my list you can see I have an issue here.

I seem to just get software for the hell of it. I haven’t played every game I have, I can’t even get to most of them, being in boxes. I don’t want to end up like those pictures you see where all the person has is eight million games that they never play. It’s become a task, work, and my collection was always about playing & fun. I did the same thing with the TG-16. What should I do?

I have a Wii game from x-mas that I wanted since I read about it, and I still haven’t played it. An old beat up NEO-GEO arcade machine that I was going to fancy up and buy more games for. It sits in a corner that I can’t even get to. The most enthusiasm I have is for getting early Nintendo junk (pins and figures, ect) that remind me of my early love for video games.

So what should I do? And don’t say “sell it to me” I just want to be in love with video games again. I don’t wanna be someone who collects and never plays.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

13BEAST
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 13BEAST » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Take a break. You can't force yourself to enjoy something. Put the sticks down for a couple months, maybe a year or two. I gave up video games in every sense of the word for about 3 years. One day in 2006, I went out and bought a Gamecube. I bought a bunch of games for it and played it after work/on my days off. It reminded me of how much fun I had when I was a kid, rushing home to play Sonic 2, or staying up all night with my stepdad playing DKC. After about a year, I went out and tried to buy a Wii. Only problem was, in early 2007 Wii's were damned near impossible to find. So, begrudgingly, I went home with a 360. Once again, I bought everything I could afford for the system and would be eager on my drive home from work just so I could get a few more hours of COD2 or Gears of War in.

One day in July 2008, someone--on a car forum that I frequent--made a post asking about the FC Twin (a third party emulation console that plays NES and SNES with SNES controllers). This got me thinking about all the badass games I used to play in the 80s/90s and I went to dust off my N64, which I hadn't touched in atleast 5 years. Much to my chagrin, this was also when I learned that my mother had given away my NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, Game Gear and all my peripherals and games (like 10 years ago, I just never noticed).

So I got on ebay, bought a Genesis and an FC Twin, just as a larf. I figured I'd play them for a couple hours, stick them in a box for 10 years and let my (future) kids play with them. The next thing I know, I go from having a little fun with some nostalgia to deciding that I want to rebuild my entire collection of games. Then I decided I wanted to have an Atari 2600, since I had never gotten to play with one as a kid(born 9 years after the 2600 launched). Then I decided that since I'm an adult now, I'm going to collect all the consoles I wasn't allowed to have when I was a kid.

Now I just buy anything and everything that was released between 1977 and today and I'm having the time of my life playing with it all.

So that's my story. I hope it's inspiring, or atleast coherant. ...Now sell me your Neo :D

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:14 am

i havent collected alot of videogame items since 2004
and recently ive found i would rather kill 2 hours watching a movie than play videogames

i found that playing emulated games on my Dreamcast much more fun than actually hooking up the system (and i have 32 different systems)

so you could say "i am someone who collected and never played"
i have many games for all my systems that have never been played (atleast 60 of the 86 games for my Saturn have never been played, but thats because of the game Warcraft 2) from 2004 to 2005 i played nothing but Warcraft2 and im almost finished beating all the custom campagins (about 11 to go out of 96ish total)

but you will have to stop the impulse of buying things that you will never play, i quit cold turkey by removing all the links to auction site from my computer, and i stopped going into the marketplace section on all websites i go to.
you also might have to think about thinning out your collection (more work, i kept Lunar and Arc the lad for the PS1 for 4 years even knowing i would never break the seal on them to play them, or even hook the system up) and make sacrifices on things you would never play
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

NanoMeT
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NanoMeT » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:06 am

I smile when I read this thread, because just like you, I have many many games I have never played.
I have been involved in video games since I was ... i don't know.. between 6 and 8 years old (thanks to my father who was an addicted gamer).. It started with apple computers, and amstrad cpc. I'm 32 now. And the only thing that changed is that I will pay more attention on the real fun that a game will give to me. It doesn't sound to be a problem to me to own some games that I will never play, because I just collect them for the hell of it.

Let's just focus on the fun the game will bring to you, old games, new generation ones, or whatever.

If a game gives you some fun, then you're not disgusted yet. So if you still own some games, or play some, and you still enjoy, what's the matter ?

So you asked us "what should I do", my answer is : "enjoy!"
Other thing that comes to my mind, is that maybe you grew up and you're not a child anymore ?
just kidding

ps : my wife would not agree at all with everything I just wrote. Or maybe she would agree with the "you're not a child anymore"-thing

have fun !
visit my humble page here : http://www.3do.fr

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:51 am

I was in the same boat.

The question you have got to ask is, is it such a problem? The 3DO has what? 300 games. It's never going to be like PSX or Saturn with literally thousands. It's a quaint little collection that doesn't hurt anyone. It's like a modest sticker set or a collection of porcelain dogs. It's too small to worry about IMHO.

I've been a couple of times right-at-the-soor of getting rid of everything gaming, and thinking to myself, I'll just play 360. I then I look at the this-gen games and it makes me shudder.

The other thing is that your confusing two things entirely. One is gaming. and you obviously enjoy gaming right? But the other is collecting. A lot of people (me included) get huge joy from laying out their collection and looking at it. Don't necessarily play anything. You look at the collection and smile. No shame in that. Like car and motorbike collectors only our stuff fits all in the warddrobe.

If I was you I would seperate out in my mind: Gaming, 3DO and collecting. So, you collect Nintendo stuff. You collect 3DO stuff. And you play video-games. Three entirely different things in my book.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:19 am

I know how you must feel 3DO Experience.

I ran out of room long ago and finally had to store things off-site - which I hate.

One day I'll get things back under the same roof, but for now it has to be this way. Even if I had everything at home, it still wouldn't be any easier to get to things as I would have to box everything up and stack it away. This would be just as time consuming as driving to my storage room.

As 3DO Kid said, I look at the issue as two different situations. I have my collection on one hand and I have game playing on the other. I find much joy in both even though the collecting aspect may in some ways hinder the gaming aspect.

One thing I wouldn't recommend doing is letting stuff go. I've done this twice over the last 8 or so years (not with 3DO stuff, but with Sega, TG16, etc.) and I've regretted it every time.

It can definitely be a tough situation though.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:11 am

Ya know Kid you're right. I'm mixing more than one thing. I can have a collection and the games I play be in the same genre. I have card collections, some scratch off cards & stickers but I don't scratch them or put the stickers on anything.

I think I just need to take a break from buying and just play. That does mean I should set up my game room, which I fear may turn into two rooms. But I have high ceilings so there's room to add shelves. I'd hate to be in bitrate's situation, I have rooms with stuff boxed up and that is hard enough for me, don't think I could handle having to put it in storage.

Unless I could rent a climate controlled one with power, but renting a room or small apt. just for games might be cheaper. But I don't think I'd want to spend all that $.

Thank you every1 for your advice; and keep on gaming!

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:39 am

I've lost (relative) interest in gaming a couple times over the years. I used to get in these racing and sports game ruts where I would become obsessed with being the best in a given sports game, or fastest/biggest collection of cars in Gran Turismo. Just so mindless thinking about it. Unlike most of you guys I don't collect every game, just the ones I like. I do lust over your collections :D. Funny, like 13BEAST the cube was what got me back into playing real games. Another problem was gaming ADD, I'd buy a game and never complete it. I don't buy much ahead of what I play anymore. :)

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:22 am

Well, you have 2 real options, get rid of most of it and use emulators, which in some cases for some machines are better than the original console was anyway, or take a long holiday and play your games!!

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:37 pm

I am kind of the same situation.My little apartment is full of stuff because i didnt concentrate in the consoles i wanted and started collecting for everything!
My solution is to get rid of the stuff that i really dont want to collect and concentrate in the ones that i do love!2-3 consoles.
I have seperated the collecting and playing as kid says, i find great joy in just collecting and look at them!
My playing is dead for some years now sadly...
As you can see you are not alone! :D

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:05 am

I never got to that stage, although 15 years ago id have loved to!!

I did end up with 2 NEO-GEO MVS machines at one stage with 46 carts, but i sure spent many hours playing them too!!

Im about to start building my new house, and when i do and i can move in, ill be able to set up me CRT projectors so i can stop climbing over them when i want to get into my computer room.... (try lifting a 56 kg video projector on your own in order to move it!!)

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:08 pm

I know how you feel 3do experience - I too face a similar dilemma.
I love my 3do and I love collecting. It's such a great system to collect for because it has an acheivable number of games with oddities and gems turning up just when you think you have a handle on it!
I have no intention to play all the games I have. If I get a game for a good price and its sealed I will not open it , however , if its not then it gets played.
Us 3do owners tend to be a little older and there is a fair amount of nostalgia connected to our obsession. Likewise because we are older we have responsibilities that the younger hard core gamers dont have - mortgages , kids , wives ,careers , lives in general.
I play 3do , I collect 3do , I collect '90s gaming.
My wife and kids play wii
The majority of my gaming is either Civ 4 on the PC which is easy and accessible because its turn based or tetris on my phone.
The landscape has changed
Dont be afraid to be a collector or a player both are just as important and just because you may favour one doesnt mean you're not a gamer it's just being practical.
My jag is new and sealed , my neo geo is new and sealed they dont get played - my 3do does
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:14 am

Hey Case, why don't you mail those games my way? I only ever got 2 (have all in ROMs) but you can't beat the real thing. I started to mod mine, ugly jamma case, I put in infinity car speakers a friend donated, and changed over to uni-bios 2.1. Then I got distracted. :..(

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:29 am

Are you refering to the NEO-GEO MVS carts? They are at a mate's place at the moment, i told him he can have them but apparently i can still have them back if i want. Out of 46 games, ive got about 60 carts in total, got a few doubles, and a few that dont work.

The two cabinets i had were both different, 1 was a Genuine NEO-GEO 4 slotter, the other was a generic cabinet with a 68cm screen and a single slotter MVS board. They both suffered the crosshatch issue due to corrosion on the boards (its a common issue, looks like you turned it on with no game cart)

I have a fair few NEO-GEO AES joysticks here i converted to USB using some thrustmaster digital control pads, so playing the games on an emulator is exactly the same. We compared the 2 with a few games and couldnt pick a difference if the emulator was set right. :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:21 am

Yeah the MVS carts. I only have the one cabinet with the MV-1 board (a single cart board with easy to remove bios chip). The thing has been painted an ugly blue I want to strip it and have it painted up nice, plus some switches could use replacing and I want to get the NEO-GEO stile sticks, I know a store that has those at least. And I replaced the bulbs with low juice ones and luckily it still has the original N-G marquee. Wow on a roll. If you aren't joking about the arcade carts PM me. You may save me from a collecting rut and spin me back into playing games!

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:24 am

What are they worth to you mate? If you really want them i spose we could part with them, depends on what youre willing to pay, and the shipping may cost abit too.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:11 am

I sent you a Private Message, I'll send a second shortly.