Is this gen boring?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Is this gen boring?

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 am

Here we are post Christmas, typically most gamers have more games than they can poke a stick at, yet the membership to this fairly obscure forum has blossomed of late...

Is it because this gen is boring?

Not one game in this generation has set my imagination on fire. Sure, I enjoyed some of this gens games don't get me wrong, but the pzazz (spelling) is, in my opinion, missing.

...or am I just a grumpy old gamer?

MrAshDarksideTM
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MrAshDarksideTM » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 am

I'm with you.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return.

13BEAST
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 13BEAST » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:27 am

Nah, kids are stupid, modern games are stupid, kids are satisfied with them.

This year's games sucked, IMO, but they are not a reflection of this generation as a whole. Gears of War, Mass Effect, LBP, Braid, etc...

This just happens to be the only 3DO forum I could find on the internet :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:41 am

I enjoyed MGS4, Ace Combat 6, GT5, etc., but somehow I expected more. Take Call of Duty 4, it's pretty good, i enjoyed it, in single player that is, and I had it beat in a weekend and I thought it was okay. but it's heralded as the second-coming. It's not.

...but it's considered the best game this gen? Nooo but then when I think about, yes. Which is scarey.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 am

I've had fun with Xbox Live Arcade games. But, now that I think about it, my favorites have their roots in past generations. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a remake of an NES game, Rez HD is an upgraded DC game, Marble Blast Ultra hearkens back to Marble Madness, and N+ is just straight up hardcore platforming. I loved Braid, too.

But man are the retail releases ever boring and uninspiring for the 360... I've had some good fun with the Wii, though!

mosul210
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mosul210 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:54 am

I'm okay with the games of this generation, but that being said I have not seen anything new. I really can not say my experience with Halo III was any better than Halo I.

I think the reason why I enjoyed 3DO so much was because it was a huge step forward from the previous generation. The jump from 16bit to 32bit is much more noticeable than any other upgrade.

3DO also coupled the technology with a cd rom media which gave developers almost unlimited space doing away with a huge developmental restriction.

I still feel 3DO had the best games and variety when compared to Saturn and PS1. Its too bad Panasonic did not follow through with M2.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 pm

mosul210 wrote:I'm okay with the games of this generation, but that being said I have not seen anything new. I really can not say my experience with Halo III was any better than Halo I.

I think the reason why I enjoyed 3DO so much was because it was a huge step forward from the previous generation. The jump from 16bit to 32bit is much more noticeable than any other upgrade.

3DO also coupled the technology with a cd rom media which gave developers almost unlimited space doing away with a huge developmental restriction.

I still feel 3DO had the best games and variety when compared to Saturn and PS1. Its too bad Panasonic did not follow through with M2.
Your statement mirrors how I feel about the current gen. Sure the graphics are better but nothing that does too much more than what made the PS2-Xbox-GC generation work. Everything does look "wow" good but the games aren't significantly improved gameplaywise for it. Where the jump from PS1/N64 for PS2/Xbox was huge and offered new possibilities. Maybe we have just about reached the saturation point Nintendo was talking about (but not as early as they thought being the PS2 generation)

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Post 2008, the only game that really does it for me is 'Left 4 Dead' (PC Version).

I've never experienced on-line play in a game that had the drive and narrative of a single player. Left 4 Dead does exactly that for me, it's excellent.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:03 pm

Devin wrote:Post 2008, the only game that really does it for me is 'Left 4 Dead' (PC Version).

I've never experienced on-line play in a game that had the drive and narrative of a single player. Left 4 Dead does exactly that for me, it's excellent.
Right - so then. If it's sh*t can I moan furiously?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:21 am

This gen, and last as well have just been boring. It's the same old game, run to this end of the map, go get that item, then repeat. Either the game is long and not rewarding like past couple Metroid and Zelda games, I get bored because I don't have much fun and I don't feel rewarded for my "work" or the game is so frackin' simple that I start on a Friday and by the end of Sunday I finish it.

Where are the good games? I remember it took me MONTHS to beat some games on the NES. Now days it's a weekend beatdown or it's dull & I just loose interest. I've been playing Castlevania Order Of Ecclesia and that is probably the only game that has been released in the past 2 years that has really been a ton of fun. (and hard as hell) LEGO Star Wars II was great as well, that's me just being childish but once again you beat it in like a day. Sorry collecting 8 million hidden pieces doesn't count by adding on extra time.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:20 pm

3DOKid wrote:Right - so then. If it's sh*t can I moan furiously?
I'm sure you'll find something to bitch about! :wink:

As long as you get a good mix of people on Left 4 Dead to play with, it's an excellent experience. Of course the occassional knob joins the game who runs around screaming and shooting at you. Doesn't happen often though! At the moment the game is limited to 4 campaigns but the replay is immense, I must have burned through at least 40 hours since Christmas.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:19 pm

This gen is abysmal. I built myself a high-end PC in November. Went from a single core 1.8 ghz processor to 2.3 ghz overnight with a pretty decent graphics card that runs Crysis on max settings with max resolution at an average of 25-30 FPS.

The reason I built this PC was for music recording purposes but also for gaming. I didn't want a 360 that has a 1/3 failure rate, or a PS3 that costs an arm and a leg, or a Wii that's an overpriced Gamecube with a stupid gimmick and a load of shovelware. Unfortunately for me other than Crysis and a few RTS games, everything on the PC have been console ports usually poorly optimized ones.

I've been disappointed by everything I've come across other than Mirror's Edge.

I was Google-ing around the other day for top 10 PC games of 2008. What a joke. All those lists infuriated me not only for including horrible games but for including Far Cry 2 in the top 5. You can tell that these sites are run by complete retards or get paid by video game publishers.

Here's a list of current gen PC games that I've played since November '08 and my opinion on them. Most of these are available on the consoles.

Blacksite Area 51 - 1/10 - Broken game. Broken. Unfinished. Buggy. The patch was like 200 megs but it didn't fix a thing. Also the colors. Ugh. Everything was either brown or green so it looked like poop and slime.

Far Cry 2 - 1/10 - Came as a free gift with my graphics card. The equivalent of receiving a dead bird in a box. Pretty graphics don't make a game. Bad voice acting. Everyone talks super fast as if they have ADD. The man you're supposed to kill is actually quite friendly and saves your life. All the missions are the same. It takes longer to drive than it does to complete a mission and when you drive, you drive through at least 3 checkpoints that have respawning guards who attack you for no reason and ugh I can't go on with this one anymore.

Stranglehold - 7/10 - I liked this one. It was like Mas Payne but good. I hated Max Payne because it just ripped off John Woo movies. This time around I got to play one except the plot is horrible, game is short, and Chow Yun Fat speaks in English with a very bad accent.

Timeshift - 6/10 - I actually played this one before building my new PC. It's an above average FPS game. I liked it.

Fallout 3 - 3/10 - An Oblivion mod that costs $50. Does not stay true to the source material at all. The original Fallout games are masterpieces that cannot be topped to this day. In this game stats and skills don't mean a thing. The level cap is 20 and curiously enough I've gotten to level 10 simply by doing 1/4th of the side quests. Also the average population of a town is 3-4 people.

Crysis - 8/10 - The only reason I give this one a high score is because I played it after playing all these crappy games. The graphics are unparalleled. Story is lame. Once you run out of Koreans to slaughter you start slaughtering aliens. Most reviewers complained once the aliens came out. I actually loved those sections. It was COD4 immersion to the next level.

Crysis Warhead - 6/10 - Second verse same as the first except shorter, completely linear, optimized even worse, and you play as Jason Statham.

Gears of War - 5/10 - I can only play this one in short bursts. The graphics are good. Everything else isn't. Incredibly limited gameplay. All you can do is shoot and duck. I'm halfway through the game and I learned more about the plot from reading the IGN review than from actually playing it.

Dynasty Warriors 6 - 5/10 - Same as all the other ones. Nothing new here.

F.E.A.R. - 7/10 - I would have given this one at least an 8 if the scary/creepy factor didn't die down halfway through the game.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl - 4/10 - 80% of the reviews I read about this came touted it as the next System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. I was extremely let down. This is not an FPS/RPG hybrid. It a horribly buggy FPS game that does not stay true to the source material. The Stalker movie is a masterpiece. This is a stereotypical FPS game except replace generic GI Joe's with generic drunken mercenaries.

Modern gaming has sickened so bad that I went out and bought a Nintendo DS Lite. I've always hated it due to the touch screen gimmick and bought it on a whim. Surprisingly I've been enjoying some of the titles. Trauma Center is great. Sonic Rush is the only good Sonic game since the Dreamcast days. And The Worlds Ends With You is a pretty good RPG.
3DOKid wrote:I enjoyed MGS4, Ace Combat 6, GT5, etc., but somehow I expected more. Take Call of Duty 4, it's pretty good, i enjoyed it, in single player that is, and I had it beat in a weekend and I thought it was okay. but it's heralded as the second-coming. It's not.

...but it's considered the best game this gen? Nooo but then when I think about, yes. Which is scarey.
I'd give COD4 a 7/10 max. I play most games on a hard difficulty setting but COD4 just pissed me off. There were numerous areas that had respawning enemies. Your squad mates wouldn't move forward unless you'd rush the enemy soldiers and it took me several attempts to rush them because dying in 3 shots isn't fun. The sniper level was very immersive. The sequence when you get out of the chopper after the nuclear explosion was a nice touch too. But other than that and the execution in the beginning, it's still a run of the mill FPS.
3DOKid wrote:
Devin wrote:Post 2008, the only game that really does it for me is 'Left 4 Dead' (PC Version).

Right - so then. If it's sh*t can I moan furiously?
Dude it's like 4 levels.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:40 am

Devin wrote:
3DOKid wrote:Right - so then. If it's sh*t can I moan furiously?
I'm sure you'll find something to bitch about! :wink:

As long as you get a good mix of people on Left 4 Dead to play with, it's an excellent experience. Of course the occassional knob joins the game who runs around screaming and shooting at you. Doesn't happen often though! At the moment the game is limited to 4 campaigns but the replay is immense, I must have burned through at least 40 hours since Christmas.

Dude - it's like you don;t even know me. 4 levels? Online? multiplayer?

I feel like a vampire at a garlic eating competition.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:12 pm

I had hella fun playing fallout3. put well over 150 hours into. Prolly one of the best game i have played in a while.

but really if you compare everything to the fun you had with games you played growing up, everything will seem to suck.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:14 pm

Yeah you have a point. But then even as as a kid I never saw eye-to-eye with my game-playing school chums.

They used to throw themselves about in ecstasy over rubbish like Chuckie Egg and Bruce Lee and I swore by Dragon Ninja and Jackal. (Both of which I could beat with a single credit.) Even in the arcade I'd play 1942, alone, while all the cool kids played on Altered Beast, which was crap, and Space Harrier which was another turgid monstrousity that still seems to refuse to die.

I've disagreed with around 80% of all Edge (NG) Magazines reviews and I've stubbornly stood by games that now have so much scorn poured on them it's embarressing to say their names outloud: MGS and GT.

It's the same for films and TV shows. I'm usually lucky to find some else who has seen what I like - let alone liked it too.

Doskias
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Doskias » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:39 pm

I have my 3DO and no other gen will compare, or maybe that's my nostalgia talking.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:01 pm

Doskias wrote:I have my 3DO and no other gen will compare, or maybe that's my nostalgia talking.
Maybe a bit but i agree! New gen is shit...i dont even like one game!
I am going to put some starblade now.... 8)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:43 pm

pitsunami wrote:
Doskias wrote:I have my 3DO and no other gen will compare, or maybe that's my nostalgia talking.
Maybe a bit but i agree! New gen is shit...i dont even like one game!
I am going to put some starblade now.... 8)
Starblade is aces.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:22 pm

3DOKid wrote:
Starblade is aces.
Starblade is wonderful...i am trying to get a full arcade cab! :D

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:12 pm

BryWI wrote:I had hella fun playing fallout3. put well over 150 hours into. Prolly one of the best game i have played in a while.
The only reason I gave it a 3/10 as opposed to a 1/10 was that I really liked the environments and the exploration bit. The main story quest was a bit lame which I why I decided to take up the side quests and explore the area. I kept looking for things to make the game actually redeeming and was excited whenever I found something new. Unfortunately that excitement wore down quick. "OOH A NEW TOWN? Ah crap. Only 4 people just like all the other places."
but really if you compare everything to the fun you had with games you played growing up, everything will seem to suck.
I don't know about that, I spent my childhood playing DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D and their clones :P

Rise of the Triad, Blakestone, Corridor 7, Hexen, Heretic, etc.

I was incredibly pissed when I played Duke Nukem 3D because that totally changed the way FPS games were meant to played. A mouse? The hell you using that for? Why's the character talking? Why's he ripping off lines from They Live and Evil Dead? I remember when FPS games used the arrows to move and CTRL to shoot!

I still hate that game to this day and got sick of FPS games until I got a 3DO :D

Killing Time and Immercenary were responsible for me liking FPS games again.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:16 am

Weird - me too. Killing Time and Iron Man 2. "I fancy more of this". i thought and off I went.

I am looking forward to the Ghost Busters game. I'm staying away from the magazines/forums when that's released so i can enjoy it :)

I'm also looking forward to Operation Flash Point: Rising Dragon. I really enjoyed the originals - I hope they haven't messed it up.

I just wish some out-and-out arcade games would get released. People equate value for money to half baked story line and that's not the case something truly addictive with flashy graphics and spaceships please. (And if you can squeeze 'em in - half naked women too!)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:06 pm

I may have to buy a 360 for Ghostbusters, the versions for the other consoles look cartoonish. *cries*

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 pm

360 for me too then.

I always thought there was irony to calling the cartoon "The REAL Ghostbusters"

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:30 pm

well they only called it that because there was a rip off here (not sure if it aired in the UK) that had a ghost busting team with a gorilla.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:00 pm

...it just soils the memory.

I have to say I love the original movie - I can even watch the second movie with some pleasure. I also like Evolution which was made by the same guy who made ghost busters

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:07 pm

None of the current consoles have wowed me enough to plunk down money for them (money I'd much rather spend on old gaming goodness) That said, I do enjoy both the DS and Psp for portable pleasure (although this Xmas was hardly bursting w/much goodness for the psp :( ... patience Trev) I do have a blast playing the Wii at my friends house though, and since we entertain quite a bit it will be a pending purchase following my tv upgrade.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:48 am

I've been stuck playing DS and TurboGrafx-16. Haven't really been playing 3DO lately, I know, I'm bad.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 am

3DO Experience wrote:I've been stuck playing DS and TurboGrafx-16. Haven't really been playing 3DO lately, I know, I'm bad.
To the tower with her.

13BEAST
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 13BEAST » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:25 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I've been stuck playing DS and TurboGrafx-16.
Marry me. :lol: I jest, I jest

TG-16 is my most prized system, even though I have systems worth more. (boxed NES, Jaguar/JagCD, 3DO, etc) It's definitely one of the most fun systems I own. I don't think I could choose between my TG, 3DO and SNES...

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:36 pm

*Jumps you and steals your Jag CD add-on*