What do you guys think...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

What do you guys think...

Post by bitrate » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:34 am

A while back I posted some video's of some unreleased 3DO games on youtube. I'm getting ready to post some additional M2/3DO video's so I have been looking around youtube pretty regularly these last few days.

Today I do my usual look-up of 3DO video's and find THIS.

I immediately recognise it as the video I posted a little over a year ago. I look around to see if he gives any credit to his source (which he doesn't) even though I really don't expect to find anything. I then post a message saying that the video looks very familiar and find shortly afterward that my post has been deleted and I am blocked from further posting.

So, my question to you fine folks is should I feel a little peeved?

I'll admit that at first I was a little warm under the collar. I mean, I have spent a LOT of time and money on my 3DO paraphernalia and along comes some guy who most likely knows nothing about 3DO, copying a video I posted without giving credit to his source, deletes my playful post hinting at his forgery, and all this just to get people to go visit his pathetic website.

Look, I understand full well that I do not own the rights to the video I posted and there is a part of me that is happy that possibly more people will get to see the video (for those people who do youtube searches by date added). Furthermore, if I had really wanted to I could have put a watermark on the video, but I didn't.

I guess it all comes down to the type of person that you are. I know that I would never post any video or image of a similar nature without giving credit to the source but maybe that is just me.

Also, I know this guy does this kind of thing a lot. He has a ton of video's up now that I know he copied from other collectors. And by looking at his mission statement on his forum I can clearly see what his point of view is on this subject.

Anyway, a bunch of my new video's are up on youtube but I have them up as private now as I decide whether or not to republish them with watermarks.
Last edited by bitrate on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:46 am

That guy is a dirty prick!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:11 pm

The guy's shady, but frankly, if you care about always getting credit for what you post, put a watermark on it. Otherwise, consider it your contribution to the community and move on.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Yeah, this guy is a known dick on the internet. He's done the same thing to the respected Jaguar community as well. He gets results, but not always in the most respectful manner.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:34 pm

I would be peeved as well. I agree, you should run it through movie-maker or do something first to stamp your ID on it. There isn't a lot you can do I'm afraid. The guy is bottom-feeder mind you. I suppose you could run a campaign of hate. Give me a shout if you need my help in that ;)

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:05 pm

He took many of my videos as well, removed the watermark from some, and even discarded all the important information that went with the videos. I reported that to YouTube, but they don't give a damn, apparently.

As a result, I'm not going to post any new videos in the near future. And if I ever do again, there will be a huge watermark that can not be removed.

That guy is really a dumbass. In all forums where he's active, he moans about watermarks. But people like him are the reason why watermarks are put onto images and videos, though he's too dense to unterstand that.

13BEAST
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 13BEAST » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:06 pm

3DOKid wrote:I would be peeved as well. I agree, you should run it through movie-maker or do something first to stamp your ID on it. There isn't a lot you can do I'm afraid. The guy is bottom-feeder mind you. I suppose you could run a campaign of hate. Give me a shout if you need my help in that ;)
+1 Hate is what I do best :lol:

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:31 am

as much as it ticks me off that these types of people exist the fact remains that the people that count know the truth.
Please don't stop sharing - someday I'd like to see those focus group tapes!
This guy is going to piss the wrong person off sometime and he'll get his comeuppance
its called Karma
don't let him get to you

I'd still have your babies
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:14 pm

Actually, I think that we all should form a front against him and stop sharing photos/images/videos/whatever until that guy removes all the stuff from his channel and stops stealing other people's work. Otherwise nothing will change and he'll just continue.

People "that count" may know the truth, but that's worth nothing. The whole X-Cult "project" seems to be run by kiddies and wannabe hackers, and I don't want to see my work abused by them. It's a huge degradation for any video to end up on their YouTube channel.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:56 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:Actually, I think that we all should form a front against him and stop sharing photos/images/videos/whatever until that guy removes all the stuff from his channel and stops stealing other people's work. Otherwise nothing will change and he'll just continue.

People "that count" may know the truth, but that's worth nothing. The whole X-Cult "project" seems to be run by kiddies and wannabe hackers, and I don't want to see my work abused by them. It's a huge degradation for any video to end up on their YouTube channel.
Right. i totally agree. What do you want to do?

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:21 pm

3DOKid wrote:Right. i totally agree. What do you want to do?
No concrete idea yet. But I guess the first step would be to contact all the people who got their content stolen by him.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:45 pm

WindowsKiller wrote: The whole X-Cult "project" seems to be run by kiddies and wannabe hackers.

I noticed that too. Every thread on the forum is "faggot this..." or "faggot that...". It really looks as though everyone there curses because it's a new and novel thing for them to do and because mom and dad don't allow it.

WindowsKiller wrote:But I guess the first step would be to contact all the people who got their content stolen by him.

That would be nice. It would probably be quite a list.

Tears of Ash
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Tears of Ash » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:58 am

Youtube seems to respect copyrights for "other things" like music artists and such.

If you did get enough people together, I'm sure they'd HAVE to do something!

Question though: Is it against copyright to make a video of a copy written piece of work in the first place? Just because nobody cares to protect the copyright doesn't mean it's not copyright anymore (although Judges will usually vote in favor of trespassers on patents and such if patent-holders don't pursue to protect it at first, but then go after someone else later)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:28 am

That's an interesting question. I guess, in essense I imagine that all aspects of the game are copyright including the imagery but unlike a movie or a song would simply viewing a game constitute breach of copyright?

movies and songs are covered by public broadcast licenses aren't they? Theoretcially you can't buy a movie DVD and put it on at the local cinema but are games protected in the same way? Could I get my Xbox360, plop it in the middle of a shopping mall, and invite people, for free, to come and play the games on it? What if I charged them money to play?

I don't know...

Tears of Ash
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Tears of Ash » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:49 am

I know with most things you cannot charge for a public showing of anything without consent. You can play songs on the radio. You can show a movie at a festival.

But what about gameplay footage?

Either way, would an individual be able to claim to youtube that someone is violating their copyright?

If I recorded a video, and someone was playing a copyrighted song in the background, and someone copied it, you'd own the footage you shot. But would you be able to protect the full thing, given that it has a copyright song in the background?

Any performance you make is copyright by the creator, and it's YOUR footage. Like if you did a commentary of the gameplay footage, I think it would be more feasible to get youtube to listen. But with simple gameplay footage, that's just YOU copying an already copywritten work.

I think the guy is a douche, too. But I don't really think there's much you could do. If anything they'd take down his clips along with your clips.

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:35 pm

It's not that complicated. By stealing exclusive footage or anything that contains even the slightest sign of creative work of the person who did the video (which would include any gameplay footage), he's violating copyrights.
But with simple gameplay footage, that's just YOU copying an already copywritten work.
That's nonsense, since you're not duplicating anything. Copyright is about the rights/restrictions of duplicating and using the creative work of others.

But it's not about taking him to court for copyright violation anyway (though it would help to report that to YouTube for every single video he stole). What he does is just morally wrong, and there are other ways to fight against this.