Jaguar Catbox

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Post Reply
RetroGamer
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 pm
Contact:

Jaguar Catbox

Post by RetroGamer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Alright, I saw something called a Jaguar Catbox on eBay the other day, and that finally answered my question as to why there are extra slots in the back of my Jaguar. But I was wondering, what does the Catbox do? I know it provides extra slots or what ever to connect other stuff, but what?

Does anybody know? Or does anybody own one? Thanks.

User avatar
3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:47 am
Location: U.S.A.

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Image

Taken from AtariAge:

* Composite and S-Video Jacks
* RGB Monitor port
* Stereo/Mono Line-Out Audio Jacks
* Two Powered Headphone Jacks with Volume Control
* RS232 and RJ11 CatNet communication ports
* DSP-through connector

Currently up on evil-bay for $365 US + shipping, but will only ship with insurance covering $19. I know these do go for a lot but it still seems a little steep.
Seller has 99.4 feedback with 10 negatives in the past year 7 of those in the past 6 months. (Only ships to PayPal verified addresses)
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

User avatar
doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:39 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by doctorclu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:28 pm

The catbox is interesting. I have two, I sometimes use them.

You see the Catbox allows for networking (Jaglink cable can do that and the Jaglink 2). It allows you to have A/V connetions (the standard A/V cable can do as well) and it has a neat audio port with a knob. Meh!

Has a RGB port... been trying to get it to work with a Amiga or ST monitor, eh...

The Catbox, a neat addition, can live without it.

User avatar
Karyyk
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:16 am
Location: SC
Contact:

Post by Karyyk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:59 am

Once upon a time, I had four of these...

*sigh*

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:39 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by doctorclu » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:02 am

Nice!! In the box no less! Did you ever use them?

I wanted three or four for Battlesphere networking, but only got two. Jaglink cable works for two.

User avatar
3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:47 am
Location: U.S.A.

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:00 am

If the RGB was YPbPr and not VGA I would be screaming for one... but it's not.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

User avatar
Karyyk
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:16 am
Location: SC
Contact:

Post by Karyyk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:49 am

I used two of them every now and them for BattleSphere and AirCars (only had two copies each). I also used them with an NEC Multisync monitor during those sessions. Good times...
Image
Image

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4682
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:42 am

BattleSphere is an example of everything that is wrong in the retro gaming community. IMHO.

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:20 am

3DOKid wrote:BattleSphere is an example of everything that is wrong in the retro gaming community. IMHO.


If we are speaking price, then I agree completely.

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4682
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:05 am

Austin wrote:
3DOKid wrote:BattleSphere is an example of everything that is wrong in the retro gaming community. IMHO.


If we are speaking price, then I agree completely.


Yes Price. And yes lack of accessibility. I just don't understand why they haven't made a CD version at the very least. Frankly, I find it very suspicious.

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:13 am

3DOKid wrote:Yes Price. And yes lack of accessibility. I just don't understand why they haven't made a CD version at the very least. Frankly, I find it very suspicious.


The demand is clearly out there even for another cart release. I don't understand why they do not bother.. The Jaguar community is full of drama (some of the absolute worst I have ever seen), so there could very well be some 500 page long reason that none of us know about, ha.

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4682
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:18 am

Austin wrote:
3DOKid wrote:Yes Price. And yes lack of accessibility. I just don't understand why they haven't made a CD version at the very least. Frankly, I find it very suspicious.


The demand is clearly out there even for another cart release. I don't understand why they do not bother.. The Jaguar community is full of drama (some of the absolute worst I have ever seen), so there could very well be some 500 page long reason that none of us know about, ha.


Oh for sure. The topic could be 'who has the most dust' and it would be handbags at dawn for 500 pages.

User avatar
Karyyk
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:16 am
Location: SC
Contact:

Post by Karyyk » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:25 pm

3DOKid wrote:The demand is clearly out there even for another cart release. I don't understand why they do not bother.. The Jaguar community is full of drama (some of the absolute worst I have ever seen), so there could very well be some 500 page long reason that none of us know about, ha.


Probably too busy with life, new projects, that kind of thing.

A better question is why they wouldn't consider porting it to, say, XBOX Live Arcade. Seems like a natural fit (and I do remember them for years toying around with the idea of a PC version).
Image
Image

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4682
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:24 pm

Karyyk wrote:
3DOKid wrote:The demand is clearly out there even for another cart release. I don't understand why they do not bother.. The Jaguar community is full of drama (some of the absolute worst I have ever seen), so there could very well be some 500 page long reason that none of us know about, ha.


Probably too busy with life, new projects, that kind of thing.

A better question is why they wouldn't consider porting it to, say, XBOX Live Arcade. Seems like a natural fit (and I do remember them for years toying around with the idea of a PC version).


Okay I buy that but in which case, they've sold as many as they care for then, time GPL it and let it be free ;)

Post Reply