Killing Time - Saturn / PS1...what gives?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Killing Time - Saturn / PS1...what gives?

Post by awbacon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:40 am

I know its probably 100% true that KT never came out on Saturn, PS...but then I read this

http://palgn.com.au/5564/torus-games-interview/

It clearly states they were working on the game..and even sounds like it was 'finished' (just how I read it)

I doubt, if work on a Saturn or PS1 version of Killing Time actually happened, it ever was released...but

Anyone have any more info? It really has my curiosity peaked

Plus...anyone have a copy of this?

http://www.toseciso.org/details.php?id=3910

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:50 am

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Killing Time - Saturn / PS1...what gives?

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:54 pm

awbacon wrote:Anyone have any more info? It really has my curiosity peaked
I have never heard of a completed & unreleased version of Killing Time for either of these platforms. I heard that some work was done for the Saturn but that was just amongst chatter along the lines of "I heard they were working on KT for SS. That would have been cool if they finished it"

In all honesty it probably would have been like all ports of 3DO games to another console... crap.

awbacon wrote:Plus...anyone have a copy of this?

http://www.toseciso.org/details.php?id=3910
Yup this has been dumped and I do have a copy of it.
As far as I can tell there isn't much difference between this and the released version(s) other than the code at opening video, the name when you go to start and some small rendering issues.
The beta is v2.7 and the mail-in is v3.10, sorry I don't recall the version number of the retail copy.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Is the beta unencrypted? I almost picked up a test 3DO off ebay a few months ago w/ an encrypted / unencrypted switch...but passed on it

So my question...any way to play the beta w/ a retail 3DO?

I've just been trying to obtain everything KT I can find...sort of a mini collection. So far just the complete long box US version, and the JPN import "Tozasareta Yakata"

From what I can tell of Tozasareta Yakata, the entire FMV sequences have been dubbed into Japanese, as well as the title screens, but the menu's remain in english. I SWEAR the frame rate in spots is a touch better than the US version, but it may just be my imagination. If it is faster, its barely noticeable

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:02 pm

It's unencrypted of course however I did try to do a force encryption. It booted a garbled splash screen of both KT and the Guru (if I hadn't made the iso myself I would swear the image was faked in photoshop) and then crashed.
ImageCouldn't find the image but still have the iso, so I made a new shot.

Until we break the encryption or someone shares data that he says he has we won't be able to play it on a regular console.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Interesting.

I need to still find the black mail in KT disc, and the Euro release to have everything Killing Time. I HAD a black version disc, but I have no idea what ever happened to it. Kinda pissed it's lost (think it got tossed when I moved out of my parents house like 8 years ago...they cleaned up my crap, and I think it hit the trash )

I want to see if the euro version has any different language tracks like the JPN version does

http://www.toseciso.org/details.php?id=2459

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 am

the black mail in versions aren't that hard to find and are generally cheap as they generally have no case

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:09 am

yeah....except I cant find any? if you have a link, let me know

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:03 am

Regarding the abandoned ports, considering the framerate in the original 3DO game was pretty bad, I would be really curious to see how at least a PSX could handle the game (i.e., better in terms of framerate, I would assume).. It's really too bad it never came to fruition.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Using the 3DO emulator for PC, the frame rate definately improves (even on my gf's Intel Centrino processor, since I use a mac) but it doesn't really improve the gameplay at all.

The import version seems to have a slightly higher frame rate as well. As far as I can tell the JPN version is identical to the black mail-in disc (no map / polygon errors show up...at least I can't make them, so I am operating on assumption) but may be a tad faster framerate. Seems to be improved outside the mansion, when you are searching for the Invite form the hunters.

Once you get inside, it seems to drift back down a bit

And when I mean improved...1-2 fps at most, but I could be imagining the whole thing