Japanese Killing Time.. Better framerate, or just rumor?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Japanese Killing Time.. Better framerate, or just rumor?

Post by Austin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:24 am

I hear the Japanese version of Killing Time has a better framerate. Is this just rumor, or truth?

Honestly, I picked up the US version today.. Finally managed to make it inside the mansion, but damn, the framerate gets worse once you get in. What the helllllllll. Seriously. I really want to give this game an honest chance (after ten years of trying), but this is annoying me. The movement is worse than 3DO DOOM.. And we all know that's bad. Anyways, there's a Japanese version of Killing Time on eBay right now. More than I want to pay, but if the framerate is better like I've heard, I may willing to buy into it.

**casually pops in his newly-acquired Need For Speed, because it's smooth and awesome all at the same time**

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 pm

I am the person who initially wrote that it seems like the japanese version of Killing Time has a slightly better frame rate.

I own both copies (actually three, US RED DISC / BLACK DISC / JPN VERSION) and have put them up against eachother to check it out.

When I initially put in the JPN version (Tozasareta Yakata is the title I believe) I felt like I noticed a slight bump in the OUTDOOR HUNTER AREA. (first portion of game)

If there is a bump in the frame rate, its 1-2 frames better per second. It doesn't enhance the experience in the least. Its so slightly that quite honestly, it might not even exist. It could be me just thinking I see it.

The only true way to tell would be for someone to compare the code from both discs to see if anything was optimized or otherwise changed from the US version.

My guess....it runs the exact same speed. I can't imaging 3DO actually spending the time / money to do anything other than re-record the dialogue in Japanese.

The only change I can find throughout the entire game is that all the dialogue has been dubbed to Japanese. No toned up / down violence and / or difficulty level.

So the answer is NO. If you can't handle playing Killing Time due to the slow frame rate on the US version, even if there is a better frame rate in the Japanese version, it's not going to increase your appreciation for the game.

The japanese version is cool though. One of my favorite 3DO games. But thats coming from someone who owns all four versions for the 3DO (US Black and Red discs, JPN version, and PAL version) and the PC version as well.

Hope that helped

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:37 pm

OK so the Japanese version is no change from the US version, or if there is a change, it's not noticeable?

What about the two US versions? I have heard that one of them IS noticeable. Can anyone verify this?

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:19 am

I have never noticed a bit of difference between the red disc vs. the black mail in disc in regards to frame rate

black disc was sent out to fix the random polygon error : if you were touching a wall when transitioning from one "level" to another, and / or quickly backed up into the previous "level" after entering the new "level", you would sometimes see polygons being generated at the center of the screen, that would not go away unless you quit your game. If you saved when this happened, the error would stay with the save. I believe the Game Guru could "fix" your save file

also fixed the map error : a 100% searched map of an area would "dissapear" when you re-entered the area. Your status would not be saved

Plus the disc art is better, in my opinion, on the black mail in disc. better colors IMO

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:47 am

Ah, bummer. I guess I will have to see about tracking down the PC version (and hope compatibility mode works on the newer operating systems).. Or just play the 3DO version in very small bursts.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:10 pm

Don't start w/ the pc version. Its a totally different (and lesser) game. Music is the same, story is the same, and some textures are the same, but for the most part its an entire redesign of the 3DO version.

The enemies in the 3DO version are much better than in the PC version in my opinion. They went from FMV actors to sprites, and lost alot of their charm and character in the process.

The PC version also has a bug with the music. When there are too many sound effects occuring at once, the music will stop playing. Only saving, and loading your save, will make the music restart. With a soundtrack as good as Killing Time has, its a bummer for sure.

Just stick w/ the 3DO version. You notice the frame rate issues less and less as time goes on.

The 3DO version has a very art deco style to it, which was lost in translation to the PC version. In the dining room 3DO version, the tables and chairs are an exact replica to a Frank Lloyd Wright design in Chicago, IL at the "Robey House" (went two weeks ago to tour it). In the PC version, everything changes

Yeah...I know thats a very small point, but the 3DO art direction is much better than the PC version. Plus somehow the PC level designers managed to make the levels even MORE maze like than in the 3DO version. Dunno how they managed that

But yeah....Ive already written too much. Go play KT. Hope you enjoy it

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:47 pm

They shouldnt of even called the PC version Killing Time in my opinion. I played through the whole thing a little while back. The back tracking in that game is horrible and its easy to miss everything. I had to use a strategy guide to beat the game otherwise I would of likely gave up. The 3do version is more fun to play in my opinion, even with the framerate. If you play the game though you start to get used to the framerate after a while. But I do understand how that can make you not want to play it. I used to play SNES doom and then once I played the PC version I could never go back to the SNES version. I put many hours in the SNES version too.

And sadly, I can't play Stunt Race FX on SNES anymore either. :(

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:40 pm

I loved KT too. It was the game that taught me FPS games are games too ;) so much so, I read the book masters of Doom. (Thanks vance for the tip) and now I can play fps without grinding my teeth :)

It's a cracking game. I'm lucky enough not to have the frame rate bother me too much.

It's a pity they didn't merge monster manor, which was very smooth, with KT. Monster pips killing to the post with frame rate and baddy animations imho but KT obviously enjoyed a longer developement time.

It's a shame the 3do didn't last longer. If you look at early ps1 games and compare them too late ps1 games, the difference is staggering. Ace Combat 3 and Colony Wars 3 are amazing given the hardware. It would have been nice to have seen a killingtime 2 once 3do studio had refined their 3d engines a few more times.

Isn't KT something of a cult classic on the Mac? Is it the pc or 3do version?

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:53 pm

would it run smoother on a good pc running an emulator?

id love to play the game more but it gets me sick :P

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:42 pm

KT mac and pc are the same I believe.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:32 pm

It runs faster on an emulator, yes...but its very crashy. Runs too fast...making it hard to control in the opposite direction

and yeah...mac and pc Killing Time are identical

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:20 pm

awbacon wrote:It runs faster on an emulator, yes...but its very crashy. Runs too fast...making it hard to control in the opposite direction

and yeah...mac and pc Killing Time are identical
run some crap in the background to get the pc to slow down to a sweet spot for playing KT

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Never really thought of that. I'll have to give it a go.

On a side note, maybe people will find this interesting. I bet the Saturn / PS would have given Killing Time the processing boost to run at a decent frame rate. Wish this game came out...but I've searched and searched, and can't find anything except a reference to Torus Games in an interview talking about having "worked" on the port

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:32 pm

although its hard to say if the port would have been the 3DO version or the PC version, considering the screen shots come from both versions.

Then again even the PC version has 3DO screenshots on the box, and in the PREVIEWS app on the killing time cd for PC, the video trailer for Killing Time (complete with pc box and screenshots) is the original trailer for the 3DO version.

Man 3DO could get lazy sometimes

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:10 am

Torus games, huh? Interesting. They did the first person shooter Ashen for the N-Gage, and I believe they were responsible for some of the FPS ports to the GBA.

It certainly would have been nice if Killing Time came out for the PS or Saturn, if only in hopes that the framerate would have been improved.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:49 am

http://palgn.com.au/5564/torus-games-interview/

Link to the interview where they said they worked on it. I am sure the interviewee is mistaken, but he makes it sound like they finished it

Man...I'd love to have a beta

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:51 am

I mean it must have been relatively close to finished...since I imagine thats an actual ad and not some fan mock-up (I honestly can't remember where I found that...years ago somewhere)

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 am

Just since this is actually an active topic....figured I'd share as much as I know, since I am a Killing Time nut

The release date for both the PS1 and Saturn versions was 11/1/1996

Here you have one of the developers for the PS1 version, his work bio lists it as never released http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... rId,50623/

Interesting press release where Acclaim specifies the game is being brought to PS1 / Saturnhttp://www.thefreelibrary.com/ACCLAIM+A ... a018275513

Based upon the "later this summer" release date the press release states, the timeframe seems to indicate a direct port of the 3DO version

I'll add more stuff once I find it on my hard drive

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:20 am

Few screenshots from the PC version that must have been from a beta

The docks were never sunny...nowhere was the game sunny. Plus where the screenshot is taken from, there was no "land" there to stand on. It was all water

and

This did exist in the game, as its the main hall of the mansion. But it never had any enemies in it whatsoever

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:22 am

I would have liked to seen a Saturn port, although I would worry about the transparencies. The machine can do it despite popular belief but it's not easy to code. And PS ports of 3DO games are always abysmal.

I do have a beta of this but it is very late in production and does not have the docks. I should check the main hall...
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:49 am

what are the chances of you releasing the beta? I, for one, one love to check it out, especially given my fascination with Killing Time. Hell, as a filmmaker, I'd even be willing to upload some super in-depth comparison videos

and are you referring to the 3do version or the pc version?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:56 am

The 3DO version. I can release it, I've already signed it so it plays on a regular console. I'll need to borrow someone's megaupload or RapidShare pass or something as after compressing it's still 415MB.
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:17 am

is there a limit on how large files can be on megaupload? I have an account, but it's not a pro or gold one (whatever they are called).

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:41 pm

You would know better than I. I just edited and added RapidShare in there too.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:38 am

Major points if this gets uploaded. I will for sure do some in depth videos of differences for the 3do community.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 am

3DO Experience wrote:You would know better than I. I just edited and added RapidShare in there too.
Just checked the file size limit and your upload will be fine. You have a PM in your box now. Looking forward to being able to try this out! :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 am

The signed Killing Time beta can be downloaded here.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 pm

just becareful where you click on that link! I got fooled, but I just woke up 15 mins ago too.

EDIT: oh yeah where is my manners, THANKS!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:43 pm

Awesome 3DO Experience! Thank you for sharing.

I haven't downloaded it yet because I wanted to ask if you new what the build was first. I have an early build of Killing Time too, but it might be the same as yours.
If mine is different, I'll upload it as well.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:28 pm

It's 2.7, and I've made a cover out of the paper slip that was included with it.

I hope you have an earlier one, I'd love to see it.