DeathKeep - awesome but hard

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

DeathKeep - awesome but hard

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:44 pm

It is without any doubt a massive technical achievement. The framerate is better than Dooms (no suprise) but also Immercenary, Defcon 5, possibly Escape from Monster Manor and definately KillingTime. The whole thing is textured, and looks great, thing is --- it's just too hard -- if you play like you play doom. I took my time and it's growing on me. Although the 20+ attempts to get off of the first level was somewhat unattaractive.

Anyone else stuck it out with this gem?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Yup. Slayer was too hard for little ol me. So I go on to play other more enjoyable titles.

For torture that feels good try Radiant Silvergun for the Sega Saturn.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:27 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Yup. Slayer was too hard for little ol me. So I go on to play other more enjoyable titles.

For torture that feels good try Radiant Silvergun for the Sega Saturn.
I liked Radiant Silver gun, i liked it a lot. I found a copy, and it was awesome, I had to emulate it because it was the NTSC version and I had a PAL saturn. There is a rumour that RSG will be out XBL or PSN? Of late bullet hell shooters have become very trendy, Cave shooters right? I can't say i liked them, but games like RSG, Raiden, Einhander, Raiden DX are very beautiful.

Racket boy did a PS1 vs Saturn shooter comparison, and since my PS1 was chipped and my saturn wasn't (and the fact I couldn't get a straight answer on how to get imports working on my PAL saturn) I sold the saturn. My two regrets (three actually) were radiant silver gun, virtua cop, and Panzer Dragoon Saga all of which always looked awesome.

Maybe once I get my millions and retire (sneak off) to Panama i'll get a Saturn back. We'll have an anual 3DO Zone party or something. I'll get a US one and we'll play all these. :)

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:09 pm

I have both Slayer and Deathkeep and tried them both for about 10 minutes each. Then I decided these were games that I was going to need to devote a good chunk of my life to play, so I ejected them for another time (possibly never). I did notice the difficulty and the graphics were amazing.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:35 pm

Well, I will be getting rid of an extra NTSC first run Saturn, with an import cart. And since I have an extra copy of Radiant Silvergun that I found as well that will be in the bundle. I'm still sorting through the game room, thanks to Trev, and being delaying in the cleaning by Syberia, also thanks to Trev.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Ha ha, make sure you save before *SPOILER ALERT* putting the mammoth on the train or you might be delayed even more ... :wink:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=231167

It is the only "glitch" I found. Still a real good game once you get uese to controlling w/a d-pad & not a mouse.

As for Deathkeep, it has zero customization, yes? That automatically makes it bad next to Slayer (which was only average anyway)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 am

Trev wrote:Ha ha, make sure you save before *SPOILER ALERT* putting the mammoth on the train or you might be delayed even more ... :wink:

It is the only "glitch" I found. Still a real good game once you get uese to controlling w/a d-pad & not a mouse.

As for Deathkeep, it has zero customization, yes? That automatically makes it bad next to Slayer (which was only average anyway)
I've double checked and checked again, and you are wrong sorry.

It's actually quite awesome.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:26 pm

I'd rather play dungeon hack.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 pm

3DOKid wrote:
Trev wrote:Ha ha, make sure you save before *SPOILER ALERT* putting the mammoth on the train or you might be delayed even more ... :wink:

I've double checked and checked again, and you are wrong sorry.

It's actually quite awesome.
Can you create characters, pick monsters, and choose the layout of the dungeon like Slayer though? Surely those are missed features!
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:50 pm

not here they aren't. no here.

I spent 30 minutes creating my character in Fallout yeasterday - it bored me stupid.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 am

Deathkeep is one my alltime favourites...i just love it.

Its very well made and very realistic! When you are walking on the ice its slippery etc...

I'd recommend it ONLY for the hardcore rpgers though...

I will play it again soon! :)

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:06 pm

I've just had a go at Deathkeep and it was tough as nuts.

walk, slide, meet ogre thingy, shoot shoot, die. rinse & repeat :cry:

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Lol. All I ever hear about this game is that first ogre battle. Has anyone ever gotten past that guy?

I like RPG's, but for some reason I have not ever put any time into Deathkeep or Slayer.

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:51 pm

I just cheated through the game,
I love to cheat on games id never play through cuz theye are too hard.
its an evil that has its rewards!

as i get older i have so little time and so many games... some times ill cheat or play on easy just so i can play though more games...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:58 pm

acem77 wrote:I just cheated through the game,
I love to cheat on games id never play through cuz theye are too hard.
its an evil that has its rewards!

as i get older i have so little time and so many games... some times ill cheat or play on easy just so i can play though more games...
I like the cut of your jib. Me too!

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:08 am

bitrate wrote:Lol. All I ever hear about this game is that first ogre battle. Has anyone ever gotten past that guy?

I like RPG's, but for some reason I have not ever put any time into Deathkeep or Slayer.
I have!! :)

Actually its not that hard if you get used of the controls and the movement!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:46 am

The first bit where you are on the ice is real pain but do-able. Also, playing it like Doom is a recipe for disaster, it's like the Anti-Doom since your best bet for success is one enemy at time, but the game engine takes great pride in shoving 10 at once at you. You just have to be carefull - like you were in a real Dungeon or something :)

Rust
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rust » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:34 am

I've played through Deathkeep on all three classes. Yeah, too much time on my hands. Many of the levels are a bit unbalanced, the first being the most notable. The teleportation labyrinth later in the game, while not always mandatory, is nothing short of sadistic.