fz10 laser and cd questions

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

fz10 laser and cd questions

Post by nocturne » Wed May 14, 2008 4:15 am

So for my second msg

I have 2 3do's, an ntsc and a pal fz10. I play the pal one as the graphics on the ntsc one seem screwed up (any suggestion?)

Anyway, doe's anyone know of a reliable laser tweak for the fz10? I have 19 original games and have backed them up, some just don't like to boot at all where as all the originals boot up just fine.

If the laser is untweakable, what cdr's would be best and which software and speed are most reliable.

Any help would be gr8

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Re: fz10 laser and cd questions

Post by Lemmi » Wed May 14, 2008 4:30 am

nocturne wrote:So for my second msg

I have 2 3do's, an ntsc and a pal fz10. I play the pal one as the graphics on the ntsc one seem screwed up (any suggestion?)

Anyway, doe's anyone know of a reliable laser tweak for the fz10? I have 19 original games and have backed them up, some just don't like to boot at all where as all the originals boot up just fine.

If the laser is untweakable, what cdr's would be best and which software and speed are most reliable.

Any help would be gr8
is australia a pal or ntsc zone?, if your TV cant display ntsc then stuff will be screwy

i use the FZ10 only and my CDRs are TDK, durabrand, Imation, Memorex and something called Precision (not recommended because ive had 2 games not work with these)
the main thing to remember is to burn them at the slowest speed available i use X4 and ive only used Nero to burn them
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Wed May 14, 2008 4:45 am

Australia is a PAL zone but my tv can handle ntsc just fine. I share the same psu with both and im guessing thats the problem. Since we r 240 volts i switch over the psu from the pal one to the ntsc one. Im taking a guess that the voltage on the pins to the mobo may be different?

And thanks, i can easily get tdk's, i'll test at the lowest speed and see what happens

marco rossi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by marco rossi » Wed May 14, 2008 8:51 am

hi,
i burn my cdrs with firebuner at x1 speed,all my cdrs work fine on fz10 and fz1,i dont try on goldstar.see ya

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed May 14, 2008 12:01 pm

I buy the best quality gold CDs I can find and burn at full speed (52x) with no problems. TDK have always been pretty good, so have Philips and Sony, ran into difficulty when I bought 200 HappyPiPi cd's for about $5.00 mind you. I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for. :)

A good quality CD burner is a must too. before I used to use a HP CD burner, like a first generation one, it was brilliant - but very very slow. (1x)

I then bought a no-brand cheap one and it wouldn't burn reliably even at slow speeds. So, I shelled out for a nice Sony external drive, it cost much more, but i've never had a problem burning CDs for the 3DO since.

3do kid

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Thu May 15, 2008 1:48 am

Great info ppl!

Im not gonna mess with the laser unit at all then as everything is going just fine with the TDK blanks i bought.

Im glad i have this machine out, there really does seem to be some great titles. The only machine i bother to backup originals on to keep the minty freshness

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu May 15, 2008 8:11 am

Hello Mate,

While you are here. How popular was the 3DO in Australia? How easy is it to get hold of games and stuff? Then and now?

All the best,

3DOKid

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Fri May 16, 2008 4:07 am

Hi

Even when they where new, it was more common to buy an NTSC model from the states. Many people i know don,t even believe that I have a PAL FZ10. I was lucky to have bought one years ago, They are definately a rare machine here and the games more so. I was also lucky to get 19 titles from ebay.

Actually, i don't know anyone that currently owns one or ever did

MN12BIRD
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MN12BIRD » Sun May 18, 2008 7:57 pm

yeah I burnt a few games for my FZ-1 on Kodak CDRs and none of them make it past the first screen before they crap out and the 3DO can't read them. I know the CDRs suck so for now I'm playing the games in FreeDO until I need more CDRs and by then I'll have to figure out what ones are best.

Is there a general rule for these old systems in terms of the bottom color (silver, gold, blue etc) or brand? I have heard so many brands but they aren't mainstream ones I can find.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Sun May 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi

Ive listened to what the members here have said and ive gotta say the Silver TDK's work perfectly, and i've also noticed it make no differnce on my FZ10 if i burn @ 4x or 52x.

Maybe the rule is don't use golds or real cheapo's that look virtually transparent

MN12BIRD
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MN12BIRD » Mon May 19, 2008 1:39 am

I think it depends on the Burner too. The slowest I can burn at is 4x but someone with the same Pioneer model as me says they burn much better at 8x.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon May 19, 2008 9:21 am

MN12BIRD wrote:yeah I burnt a few games for my FZ-1 on Kodak CDRs and none of them make it past the first screen before they crap out and the 3DO can't read them. I know the CDRs suck so for now I'm playing the games in FreeDO until I need more CDRs and by then I'll have to figure out what ones are best.

Is there a general rule for these old systems in terms of the bottom color (silver, gold, blue etc) or brand? I have heard so many brands but they aren't mainstream ones I can find.
Blank CDs are a commodity item, so I guess the rule might be, buy the most expensive ones.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Wed May 21, 2008 12:05 am

Taiyo Yuden makes the best CD-R's and DVD-R's.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin